Tandoori Chicken Skewers Recipe
While you aren’t using a traditional tandoor to flame-roast this chicken, this recipe for Tandoori Chicken Skewers is pretty close to authentic in all other aspects. Traditional flavors build layers of taste that are only enhanced further by the smoky char from your grill. Served with pillowy naan bread, fragrant rice, and a cooling cucumber yogurt sauce, this BBQ chicken recipe will make even the most stubborn of picky eaters happy.
- 12 to 16 chicken thighs, boneless, skinless
- 2 tbsp. ghee or peanut oil
- 1 tbsp. regular paprika
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- cayenne pepper to taste (more=spicier)
- 1 cup cup plain yogurt
- ½ lemon, freshly juiced
- 3 cloves garlic, grated/minced
- 1 knob (½ in.sq.) ginger, grated
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- ½ small cucumber, peeled, seeded, and grated
- ½ small onion, coarsely grated
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- salt to taste
- 4 to 6 pieces naan bread
- 2 cups basmati rice, cooked
- thinly sliced red onion
- Up to 8 hours before eating, slice the chicken thighs up into bite-sized morsels.
- Place the ghee/peanut oil into a saucepan or skillet over very low heat. Add the paprika, cumin, coriander, turmeric, cinnamon, and cayenne. Bloom the spices over low heat for 2 to 4 minutes, while you gather the rest of the ingredients.
- In a glass or non-reactive bowl, combine the yogurt, garlic, ginger, and lemon juice. Stir in the oil and spice mixture. Fold in the chicken and marinate for 30 minutes up to 8 hours.
- When you are ready to eat preheat the rear burner of your grill to high if using the Napoleon Rotisserie Shish-Kebab Skewer Set. Preheat the main burners to medium-high (about 425°F) if just using regular skewers.
- Thread the chicken bites onto skewers and cook for 20* minutes until the outside is charred if using the rotisserie, 5 to 7 minutes per side if directly grilling on cooking grids.
- While the chicken is cooking, spray the naan with a little water on top, just a tiny bit, and stack them. Wrap the naan in foil and place the naan on the grill, off of direct heat, to warm. The water will ensure they stay soft and delicious.
- Serve the chicken on or off the skewer with soft and delicious naan, fragrant and fresh rice, and a delicious Raita dip.