Roasted Upside Down Chili
¼ cup olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 jalapeños, finely chopped
1 – 28 oz can diced tomatoes
1 quart beef broth
1 cup or your favorite Big Green Egg Barbecue Sauce
1/3 cup chili powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon cayenne
3 pounds coarse ground beef formed into a large patty
2 – 15 oz can cans of dark kidney beans, drained
Big Green Egg Equipment
• Dutch oven
• Stainless Steel or Silicone Tipped Tongs
• Apple Chunks
• Set the EGG for direct cooking at 350°F/177°C.
• Add a Dutch oven (uncovered) to the grid. Add the oil, then add the onion
and green pepper and cook until soft. Add the garlic and jalapeños and
cook a few more minutes. Add the tomatoes, broth, barbecue sauce, chili
powder, cumin, brown sugar and pepper. Mix well and bring to a simmer.
• Remove the Dutch oven and the cooking grid, and then add a couple
small chunks of apple wood. Add an EGGspander with a convEGGtor
and place the Dutch oven on the convEGGtor. Place the ground beef
patty on the top sliding grid over the chili so that the meat drips into the chili.
Cook for 1½ hours, adjusting the heat to maintain a simmer.
• Remove the meat to a sheet pan. Add the beans to the chili; add more
water if needed. Break the meat up with tongs and add it to the pot. Cook
for 30 minutes until everything is well blended and slightly thickened.