Plank Baked Apple Crisp Recipe on the Grill
Barbecues aren’t just for dinner. Try this recipe for Plank Baked Apple Crisp, the perfect dessert to toss on the grill. Follow your tasty BBQed meal with an easy dessert. Stuffed apples overflowing with sweet and crispy oatmeal. Serve these topped with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
- 4 large Honeycrisp apples
- 1 cup large flake, instant oatmeal
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. ginger
- ½ cup cold butter
- Grilling Planks
- Soak two Grilling Planks while the grill preheats to 375°F.
- While things are preheating and soaking, core the apples using a spoon or melon baller to hollow out the inside of the apples without cutting all the way through.
- Mix the oatmeal, flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. Using a pair of knives, fork, or a pastry cutter, combine the butter into the oatmeal mixture until it makes little clumps that resemble wet sand with oatmeal in it.
- Carefully fill the apples with as much of the oatmeal mixture as possible, overflowing the top of the apple so that the tops get really nice and crisp. Place the apples onto the soaked planks, then onto the grill.
- Bake the apples for 30 minutes, or until the apple provides no resistance when poked with a knife or toothpick, and the oatmeal is crispy on top.
- Serve hot off the grill topped with ice cream, whipped cream, maple syrup, dried cranberries and pecans, caramel – use your imagination.