Grilled Lobster on Charcoal Grill Recipe
There is nothing sumptuous for dinner than grilled lobster, however, after picking one out, how do you prepare it? Preparing a whole live lobster is a daunting task, but this recipe will get you grilling in no time.
- 2 live lobsters
- 1 cup salted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small bird’s eye chili, minced
- 4 – 5 sprigs fresh chives, minced
- 2 sprigs fresh dill, minced
- 2 lemons, halved
- Asparagus for serving
- Little potatoes for serving
- Cedar, apple or cherry wood chips
- Start by making the compound butter. Mince the chili, chives, and dill then add to the salted butter that has been softened. Scoop the mixed butter onto a piece of cling-wrap and bundle tightly into a cylinder. Place this into the fridge to set.
- Prepare your charcoal grill with a single load of charcoal, setting up for direct grilling, but keeping the cooking grids in the higher position.
- Bring a pot of salted water to the boil. Place the lobsters in head first and cook for 5 minutes – until the flesh is JUST set. After 5 minutes, place the lobsters into an ice water bath until you can handle them.
- Carefully cut the lobsters in half by placing the tip of your knife in the divot behind the head. Split in half lengthwise. Use the butt of your knife, or a small mallet to crack the claws
- Pull out the compound butter, reserving about 1/3 of it for later. Place the rest into a saucepan that will fit on the grill.
- Lift the cooking grids on your charcoal grill and add your favorite wood chips to add a little extra smoky grill flavor to your lobsters. Place the lobster and lemon halves, shell side down, and place the butter in the saucepan nearby. As soon as the butter has melted a little, begin to brush the lobster.
- Cook for 8 more minutes over direct heat, brushing frequently with the butter.
- Remove from the grill and serve topped with slices of butter and grilled asparagus and boiled potatoes along with the lemon aioli.