French Onion Pizza Recipe
This French Onion Pizza Recipe has caramelized onions as toppings! This vegetarian French Onion Pizza recipe is easy to make and will please even the staunchest meat-i-tarians. If you’re a fan of two of the most comforting foods on the planet try this flavor combination. It’ll blow your mind and your tastebuds.
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. (oil
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 lbs. / 4 to 5 medium / 3 large, sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- ½ cup mushroom broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package premade pizza dough
- 1 tbsp. oil
- ¼ cup shredded gruyere cheese
- ¼ cup shredded Emmenthal cheese
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- Parmesan for garnish
- Prepare the barbecue grill by lighting the bottom burners to medium-low and placing a cast iron frying pan over the lit burners to preheat. (You can also skip this step and caramelize the onions on your stovetop instead.)
- Slice the onions thin and mince the garlic. Bring the pizza dough out onto the counter to come to room temperature.
- Melt the butter and oil in your preheated cast iron frying pan, add the bay and 4 sprigs of thyme, then the onions. Slowly cook the onions until they become a deep golden color. Add the garlic, cooking for another few minutes.
- Pour in the soy and mushroom broth. Cook for a little longer, until the liquid reduces by about half. Remove from the barbecue grill if you used it and discard the bay and thyme before setting aside.
- Preheat the barbecue to 500°F.
- Rub the stainless steel pizza pan with a neutral oil like peanut or sunflower. Roll the pizza dough out on a well-floured surface. Move the rolled-out pizza dough onto the pizza pan. Brush the pizza crust with any liquid remaining in the onion pan over the pizza dough, leaving at least half an inch around the edge for the crust. Top the dough with half to three-quarters of the cheese, then the caramelized onions. Add a little extra cheese on top.
- Bake the pizza on the barbecue for 10 to 15 minutes or until the bottom is crunchy and the toppings are melty and bubbly.
- Garnish the pizza with parmesan and the remaining thyme before slicing and serving.