CurryWurst is possibly one of Germany’s most popular street food options and the perfect way to kick off your Oktoberfest celebrations. What is this dish you may ask? CurryWurst at its base is made from just about any German-style sausage that features a fine grind like Bavarian Bratwurst or Knockwurst. These snappy sausages are pre-cooked and then grilled until the outside is nice and crispy. These brats are sliced into bite-sized pieces and tossed in a fragrant and flavorful curry-tomato sauce, dusted with curry powder, and served with hot and crispy fries. Don’t forget a mug of beer too.
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. curry powder, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp. Bear & Burton's W Sauce
- 2 tsp. dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. paprika (not smoked)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 links of sausage, like bratwurst or knockwurst
- 1 bag French fries for serving
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. sugar
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil and cook the bratwursts until they are mostly cooked through about 6 to 10 minutes.
- For the dipping sauce. In a bowl, combine the mayonnaise, curry powder, lemon juice and sugar. Whisk until smooth and refrigerate until needed.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, sauté the onion in oil until translucent, then add the garlic and curry powder, cooking until fragrant.
- Add the ketchup, vinegar, sugar, Bear & Burton's W Sauce, mustard and paprika. Bring the sauce to a simmer for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, season to taste with salt and pepper. Use a blender or immersion blender to puree the sauce until it is smooth. Keep warm.
- Preheat the barbecue grill to high and prepare to use the direct grilling technique.
- Grill the bratwursts on all sides until they are plump and crisp with deep grill marks. Remove the bratwursts from the heat and slice them into bite-sized pieces. Toss the sliced sausage with the curry sauce and top with some curry powder. Serve with fresh french fries and a dollop of the dipping sauce.